Do you have staff in your setting that are from overseas?

This is great for learning about different cultures, communities as well as  other countries. BUT please make sure you have covered the right amount of checks before they start with you in your setting. This is paramount and the requirement is that any person who has been living or working overseas for 12 months or more in any country for the past 10 years must have an overseas check before they start with you.

The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (2017) states the following

Registered providers other than childminders must obtain an enhanced criminal records check in respect of every person aged 16 and over (including for unsupervised volunteers, and supervised volunteers who provide personal care) who:

  • works directly with children
  • lives on the premises on which the childcare is provided and/or
  • works on the premises on which the childcare is provided (unless they do not work on the part of the premises where the childcare takes place, or do not work there at times when children are present)

An additional criminal records check (or checks if more than one country) should also be made for anyone who has lived or worked abroad.

Use this link here to find out how you obtain a DBS clearance for overseas applicants

This must be from any country (except the UK) where you have lived for 12 months or more (whether continuously or in total) in the last 10 years, while aged 18 or over.


So, if you have any overseas staff in your setting – Please check you have the right checks for them to be working in your setting.